Introduction To The Blog

Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is T. Arthur Smith, I'm an art teacher. On this site I post lessons on a range of art topics: drawing, painting, composition, theory, etc. As this is a work in progress, expect these lessons to expand and improve over time. The purpose is to offer quality instruction on a free platform that is accessible to everyone. My goal is to provide accurate information, clearly and concisely, to promote art education and appreciation.

I am not a master in all these fields, but I do rely on (and cite) respected authors for my information, and I do have certain strengths. I am a practicing artist, which helps. 

Scrub Oaks, Sada Coe Park in CA, by me, finished 2024

While a student, I noticed those professors who didn't practice artmaking tended to miss certain aspects of the work they studied - that I was able to realize because of my practice. I remember one who told the story of Giotto, about how he was able to draw a perfect circle, freehand. There's a lot of hero worship in art history. So, I thought a bit, and figured it out. It's not so difficult, if you try a couple methods.

This is an oil pastel sketch I made of the ceiling inside the Pantheon in Rome, after drawing a circle and cutting it out of my sketchbook. The sky on the other page moves like a pop-up book, to show the clouds rolling by.

I also collect digital images of brilliant artworks to use as examples - something I have been doing for decades. I have discovered thousands of artists you won't find in history books. Besides this, I have studied a great deal of different art media, from traditional to digital, photography, animation, and 3D art making.

In my lessons, I try to compile as much knowledge as possible - everything you'd want to know on the topic, prioritizing utility. It's daunting. Art isn't like other school subjects, where the content has been formally accepted and logically sequenced, so that all you need is one book, and any one will suffice. Pursuing knowledge in art is more like going on a scavenger hunt. Every great artist is a prize, but the works are squirreled away in museums, books, and articles. There are many texts, but little consensus, and each art movement is it's own sect, seeking influence, and almost always in opposition to what came before. So, who's right and who's wrong? And what's the best way to start learning?

It's daunting. In this blog, I try to organize these lessons into manageable, bite-sized chunks. I give simple step-by-step instructions where necessary. I emphasize practical information, but I also step back from time to time, to show you the big picture. I go over what's intuitive and what's not intuitive, and I talk about unlearning and myth-busting. I hope you enjoy this blog, and what's more, I hope you find it useful in teaching visual art. Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts